Broccoli rice | Broccoli bhath |Lunch Box recipes
Broccoli Rice recipe using vangi bhath powder. Easy lunch box recipe.
This is Gluten free, vegan and no onion no garlic dish.
Broccoli, as we all know, is one of the healthiest vegetables loaded with Vitamin K, Vitamin C, high fiber and has cancer fighting properties. Also good for bone health. And alkalizes the body. There are many ways we can incorporate this nutritious vegetable in our diet, steam it and add it to any salads, stir fry it. Just blanch it and eat it. My recipe here is pure south Indian style Rice dish using Vangi bath Powder.
Recipe of vangi bhath powder – CLICK HERE
For other rice dishes click here
Ingredients for making broccoli rice:
- 2.5 cup cut broccoli
- 2 cup cooked rice
- 3 TBSP oil
- pinch of hing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 red chilli broken into pieces
- little key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- 2 to 3 TBSP vangi bath powder
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- few curry leaves
- 1 1/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Wash and cut broccoli into small pieces. Please watch the video for detailed instructions to cut
- Have 2 to 2.5 cups of cooked rice ready. 2 to 2.5 cups of cooked rice ( either you can use leftover rice or freshly cooked rice. if it is hot spread it on a plate)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, once mustard pops add hing, chana dal , and urad dal. Fry it until the dal turns golden brown. Then add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add broccoli, salt and mix it well. Reduce the heat to medium low., Cover it and cook it for 3 to 4 minutes
- After 5 minutes – broccoli is 3/4 cooked, now add vangibath powder, tamarind extract, and jaggery. Mix it really well. Cover it and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Now mix it again, add cooked rice. Mix it well. ( you can keep aside palya(use it later) and make the vangibath for the amount of rice you need)
- after it is mixed well, cover it and keep it on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes and then turn off the heat
- Mix it again and serve with rayta or chips or sandige/happala