Kichdi recipe or dal kichdi recipe with detailed video instructions
Kichdi or kichari or kichari is simple yet delicious one pot meal. Healthy food for kids and adults as well . It can be served as breakfast , lunch or dinner.
Ingredients for making dal kichdi:
- 1 cup rice( I am using sona masoori)
- 1/2 cup togari bele / toor dal
- 1/2 cup split green gram / moong dal
- 2.5 to 3 tbsp ghee / oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 to 5 cups of water(depends on what consistency you need the kichadi to be )
- 1 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- wash the rice and the bele / dals
- To the washed rice add 1 cup of water and add 1/2 cup water to the dals and soak it for half an hour.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add jeera / cumin seeds.
- After jeera sputters add turmeric powder, finely chopped garlic, fry it for few seconds.
- then add finely chopped onions, fry it for a minute, and then add chilli powder and chopped tomatoes. Stir it for a minute or so.
- Drain the water from the rice and add, likewise drain the water from the dals to a cup and then add the dals as well.
- Add the water from soaked ingredients and remaining water, and salt. Mix it and let it boil
- Once it starts to boil, cover the lid and turn off the heat after 2 to 3 whistles on medium heat
- Once the pressure is released from the pressure cooker, remove the lid, add chopped coriander leaves and mix the kichadi well.
- Serve the kichadi hot for best taste.