Methi leaves and Potato bhath
Methi leaves and Potato bhath or menthya soppu aloogadde anna :
Menthya soppu(methi leaves) and Alugadde(Potatoes) are very nice combination to make this kalsidanna recipe using the Vangibath powder. Also this rice dish can be prepared with only menthya soppu or only Potatoes too. Either way you will enjoy this dish. Menthya _ alugadde rice is ideal for lunch box.
- 1 cup rice(wash and cook with 2 cups of water and little oil on medium heat (2 whistles))
- 1 big bunch methi leaves or
- 1 ½ to 2 cups of chopped methi leaves
- 2 small potatoes(cut into small cubes and keep it in the water)
- 3 TBSP oil
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 TBSP urad dal
- 1 red chilli(broken into pieces)
- 2 to 3 TBSP Vangibath Powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp jaggery
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Small lemon size tamarind soaked in water
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- Few curry leaves
- Wash and chop methi leaves
- Wash and cut the potatoes into small cubes
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds pops add urad dal
- Fry the dal until the dal turns golden brown, add red chillis
- Add cut potatoes(discard the water),fry it for a minute
- Then add chopped methi leaves, mix it and add ¼ to ½ cup water mix it, cover it and allow it to cook.
- After 2 to 3 minutes add turmeric powder, curry leaves,salt, jaggery, vangibath powder and squeeze the tamarind juice too.
- Mix it and cook it on low flame until the oil separates from the palya.
- Now add the rice and mix it well, cover it and cook it on low flame for a 4 to 5 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- For tips and detailed instructions please watch the video.