Vangi bath or badanekayi anna : When it come to boxed lunch always some kind of rice dishes are very popular. Among those Vangi bath/ eggplant/brinjal rice is very popular rice dish. Even the powder is named after this vangi baath, though we use it to make varieties of rice dish using the same vangi bath powder. Green eggplants gives a distinct flavor to the baath, we rarely get that variety here, so I am using the purple one. Here is recipe to famous vangibath.
Ingredients for making Vangibath :
- 1 cup rice or 2 cups of cooked rice
- 4 cup cut /4 medium badanekayi/vangi/brinjal/eggplant
- 4 TBSP oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- little Hing/asafoetida
- 1 TBSP urad dal
- 1/2 TBSP channa dal
- few curry leaves
- little turmeric powder
- 3 TBSP Vangibath powder
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- small keylime sized taamarind soaked in water
- 1¾ to 2 tsp salt salt to taste
- 1 to 2 TBSP shredded dry coconut optional
- Wash and cook 1 cup of rice with 1½ to 2 cups of water ( rice to water ratio depends on the rice ) and keep it ready.
- Wash and cut the eggplant 1½ inch long length wise as shown. Keep the cut brinjal in water to avoid discoloration.
- Heat the 4 TBSP oil on medium heat in a thick bottom pan. Once it is hot enough, add hing, and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops, add the dals. Fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Now add curry leaves, turmeric powder and squeeze the water from the cut eggplant and add it to the seasoning and mix it.
- Cover it and cook it for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add salt, mix it. If the eggplants are not cooked, cover it ad cook it for few more minutes.
- Now add the vangibath powder, squeeze the tamarind juice, add jaggery and grated dry coconut (if you are using). Mix it well.
- and leave it on low heat until the oil leaves the palya/mix.
- Now add the rice, mix it gently.
- Cover it and let it be on low flame for another 5 minute so that the rice absorbs the flavor from the palya. Then turn the heat off.
- Now the world famous vangibath is ready to serve. Enjoy this with papads, or raita .
- Basically the eggplants are supposed to be shallow fried. But it will be too much oil. So I reduced it to 4 TBSP oil.
- Green eggplants are the best ones to make this vangibath.