Chakli / Murukku is very traditional, kids favorite, yummy snack, which we offer to Lord Ganesha and favorite “Bombe Bagina” during the navarathri festival. Chakli is a evergreen snack loved by everyone irrespective of the age. This is simple way of preparing the traditional chakli by cooking the urad dal and using regular store brought rice flour.
Click here for more CHAKLI RECIPES
- ½ cup urad dal /black gram dal
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 3 TBSP oil/ghee
- ¼ tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- 1½ to 2 cups of water
- More oil for frying
- Chakli Press
- First wash the Urad dal and pressure cook with 1 cup of water (4 to 5 whistles)
- Once it is cooled, transfer to a big bowl and mix salt, jeera, rice flour and hing. Mix well.
- Now heat 3 tbsp oil and pour it on the mix.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix it to make a soft dough.
- Heat the oil in the pan to fry, on the medium low heat.
- Using the chakli press, make around 8 chaklis, and keep them ready to fry.
- Once the oil is hot enough (check by putting a little dough into the oil, it has to come up immediately), add the prepared chaklis
- Fry them until they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Flip the chaklis once in between.
- Once they turn golden brown on both sides (it usually takes 8 minutes), take them out and transfer them onto a paper towel to drain extra oil.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough.
- Once the chaklis have cooled completely, store it in an airtight container.
- Enjoy this yummy chakali or murukku crunchy snack with tea, coffee, or on its own! Just to add a twist, try with Mexican Spicy Salsa (tastes really good).