Avarekalu Melogra – video recipe with tips and instructions.
Melogra is very simple to make traditional side dish goes well with rice, chapathi, rotti , poori …. This utterly delicious Melogara can be prepared with mixed vegetables, avarekaalu or field beans or flat beans. As every dish, melogra can be prepared in different ways , each family has its own style of cooking it. This particular recipe is from my mother. This is NO Onion No Garlic side dish. To make it gluten free – don’t use hing/asafetida.
- 2 cups avarekalu / surti papdi lila
- 2¼ to 1½ cups water
- 1 to 1¼ tsp salt
- Few curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds ( to cook the beans)
- 1 to 1¼ cup grated coconut
- 4 to 6 green chillies(just turning red is preferred )
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1.5 tbsp rice soaked in water
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing/asafoetida
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Wash and pressure cook the avarekalu with 2 cups of water, ½ tsp salt, and cumin seeds on medium heat. Turn off the heat after 2 whistles.
- Grind the ingredients listed under “For grinding” to a fine paste. Add enough water to get the fine paste.
- Add this paste to the cooked beans, mix it well. Add remaining salt, curry leaves. Let it boil on medium low heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in between.
- Consistency of the melogara is kind of thick. If you don’t like you can add water to your desired consistency.
- Turn off the heat after 5 to 6 minutes,
- Once the oil is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops, turn off the heat and add turmeric powder.
- Pour this seasoning on the melogara, mix it and serve this with rice, roti, chapathi, rotti, poori…..