Horse Gram chutney powder (Hurali or Kollu or Ulavalu chutney powder) is very tasty, easy to make and a healthy side dish. Goes very well with Dosa, Roti’s and rotti’s.
Health Benefits for Horse Gram
Horse Gram is rich in minerals, especially iron, calcium and phosphorus. On the vitamin side, it is very rich B-Complex. Since it falls into the legume family, it is rich in both fiber and proteins. It is also contains polyphenols and antioxidants.
- Horse gram is very beneficial for patients with ulcer, diarrhea, hemorrhoids/Piles.
- Horse gram is a great diuretic.
- Horse gram is documented in Ayurveda to be beneficial to patients with respiratory issues, including Asthma and Bronchitis.
- Reduces Acidity.
- Excellent home remedy for rheumatic pain.
Note: However, it is not suitable for pregnant women and people who are suffering from tuberculosis.
Ingredients for Horse Gram Chutney Powder:
- 1 cup Horse gram or huraLi (ಹುರುಳಿ)
- ½ cup grated dry coconut (ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ ತುರಿ)
- 2 TBSP Jaggery (ಬೆಲ್ಲ )
- 12 to 15 byadagi red chillies ಬ್ಯಾಡಗಿ ಮೆಣಸಿನ ಕಾಯಿ
- small lemon sized tamarind ಹುಣಸೆ ಹಣ್ಣು
- 1 tsp salt ಉಪ್ಪು
- 10 to 15 curry leaves ಕರಿಬೇವು
- ½ tsp oil ಎಣ್ಣೆ
- pinch of hing ಇಂಗು
Yields around 1.5 cups of Chutney Powder.
How to Make Horse Gram Chutney Powder:
- Dry roast the horse gram until you get a nice aroma, then keep it aside.
- Heat ½ teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Add hing and curry leaves.
- Fry it until the curry leaves become dry.
- Add red chillies and fry it until they become warm.
- Turn off the heat and add all the other ingredients. Mix well and let it cool.
- Grind the mix to a moderately fine consistency.
- Transfer it to a bowl, mix again and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Finally, store it in a airtight container.
Enjoy this Chutney powder with hot rice, dosa, idli, rotis and rotti.
This Chutney powder, also popularly known as, Hurali chutney pudi, Kollu podi, Ulavalu pudi.