Horsegram Palya or Saaru/ Rasam and Palya/Usli/Sundal is one of my family’s favorite foods. This is a two in one dish – we will be making Rasam and and it’s side dish with a common main ingredient, Horsegram. Horse Gram is rich in minerals, especially iron, calcium and phosphorus. On the vitamin side, it is very rich B-Complex. Since it falls into the legume family, it is rich in both fiber and proteins. It is also contains polyphenols and antioxidants.Horse gram is very beneficial for patients with ulcer, diarrhea, hemorrhoids/Piles.Horse gram is a great diuretic. Horse gram is documented in Ayurveda to be beneficial to patients with respiratory issues, including Asthma and Bronchitis.Reduces Acidity and is excellent home remedy for rheumatic pain.
We already have sprouted huruli Bassaru and Palya recipe, this is another recipe with our soaking and sprouting the Gram.
- 2 to 3 TBSP oil
- cooked Horsegram from the saaru/ Rasam
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ! medium size chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 to 1½ tsp salt
- 2 to4 chopped green chillies
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 TBSP jaggery
- Chopped coriander leaves and
- few curry leaves
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- once it is hot enough add mustard seeds, once the seeds pops add urad dal, very it until turns golden brown,add green chillies, add chopped onion. Fry it for a minute.
- Then add curry leaves, turmeric powder, mix it .
- Now add cooked horse gram, salt and mix it well. Fry it for few minutes.
- Finally add coconut, chopped coriander leaves, mix it well. Turn off the heat.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and mix it and usli is ready to eat.