Cabbage Kootu Recipe | Easy Cabbage Kootu
Cabbage Kootu – detailed recipe with video instructiona. Cabbage /elekosu kootu is healthy side dish for rice, rotti …,Very easy to make and delicious kootu can be prepared with most of the vegetables, and greens.
Kootu can be prepared in many different ways, each family has its own recipe, this is from my mother.
Ingredients to make cabbage kootu:
- ½ cup masoor dal/red lentils
- 2 cups of chopped cabbage
- Little turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp oil
- 1¼ to 1½ tsp salt
- 3 to 4 cups water(use as needed)
- Few curry leaves
- ½ tsp ghee
- 1 tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 to 1½ tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- Wash and cook the dal in a medium saucepan on medium heat along with 3 cups of water ,turmeric powder and oil.
- Stir in between.
- To the half cooked dal, add cabbage, and curry leaves. Reduce the heat to medium low and let the cabbage cook.
Meanwhile prepare the masala:
- Heat the ghee in a seasoning pan, add urad dal jeera and pepper. Fry it until the dal turns golden brown. Turn off the heat and add coconut and mix it allow it to cool.
- Grind the masala in a mixer to a fine paste along with ¼ cup of water.
- Add this masala to the fully cooked cabbage and dal. Add salt.
- Mix it well and let it cook on low flame for 5 to 8 minutes and then turn off the heat.
To prepare the seasoning:
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a ladle on medium heat, once it is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds once the mustard seeds pops add jeera.
- Turn off the heat and add this to the kootu and mix it.
- Kootu is now ready to serve.
You can add peanuts or avarekayi for this kootu
I used around 3 1/4 cups of water here. use as needed