Palak Tofu – a Vegan gluten free popular side dish !
You all know about Palak paneer, this is the same palak paneer recipe without paneer. I am making most of my dishes Vegan, so I thought of trying this Palak Tofu, it is amazingly delicious and gluten free and Vegan as well. Try this Vegan Palak tofu with rice roti.
If you need gluten free Roti try this rice rotti
- 1 big bunch of spinach
- 14 oz of firm tofu, cut open the pack, drain the water, wash and cut into desired sized cubes
- 1¼ to 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 medium size tomato ( cut into small pieces)
- 1 medium size onion( chopped)
- +/- 4 green chillies
- if you want to use garlic 3 to 4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- ½ tbsp fresh ginger pieces
To fry tofu:
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil
For making the Tofu Palak:
- 2 to 3 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp jeera powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp garam masala
- around 1 cup water (use water to get the desired palak tofu consistency)
For Cashew cream:
- cut stem and thoroughly wash the spinach/palak and keep ready
- We have to blanch the palak, to do that boil enough water to immerse the palak
- once it starts to boil add the washed spinach, let it be there for 30 to 40 seconds, MAKE SURE YOU DON’T COOK THIS SPINACH
- immediately remove this spinach from the water and transfer it onto the colander which is placed in the ice cold water or pour the cold water as shown,.
- heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat, add jeera, cut green chillies, and chopped onion, Sprinkle some salt, chopped ginger,( if you are using garlic add the chopped garlic now) and saute the onion for a minute or so, then add tomatoes,
- After adding tomatoes saute for 1 more minute and turn off the heat and allow it to cool
- Before grinding the palak and the masala, make the cashew cream, grind the soaked cashews along with soaked water to fine cream as shown,
- Now in the same mixer jar grind the blanched palak, if the jar is big enough add the onion tomato masala mix or you can grind it separately to a fine paste and keep it ready
Shallow fry the Totu:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottom pan, fry the tofu until all the sides turn golden brown
- It takes around 20 to 25 minutes on high heat. Now turn off the heat and transfer it to a bowl.
to make the palak Tofu:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan, add coriander and jeera powder along with red chilli powder, mix it.
- Now add the palak – masala paste, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water to the mixer jar and add that as well. Then add turmeric powder, salt mix it well and let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes
- before you add cashew cream it is important to thoroughly boil the mix, otherwise you will have the raw small of spinach in the gravy
- after 3 to 4 minutes, add ½ of the cashew cream, keep aside another ½ to decorate before you serve
- let it boil for a minute, then add the fried Tofu, (keep some to add before you serve)
- Along with tofu add garam masala as well, let it boil for 4 to 5 minutes on low heat.
- Turn off the heat, transfer it to a serving bowl, decorate with remaining cashew cream and tofu and serve with roti,naan…..