Hagalakayi gojju or Bitter Gourd Gojju recipe is easy simple yet delicious, prepared without coconut. Once you try this recipe, repetition of this recipe in the future is guaranteed!
… Bitter Gourd aka Karela, hagalakayi .. is as the name says it is bitter in taste but has enormous health benefits. Many people like the bitterness of this hagalkai but some of us needs some sweetness in the dishes. So we prepare this karela with right amount of sweet and sour ingredients to make it more appetizing to consume this hagalkaayi. Either way it is good to incorporate this healthy vegetable in our diet .
Try these bitter gourd recipes as well.
Ingredients for hagalakayi gojju:
- 3 to 4 bitter gourd/hagalakayi
- or around 2 cups of cut /chopped hagalakayi
- wash and chop the hagalakayi .
- 2 to 2.5 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp split black gram/urad dal
- wash and soak big lemon size tamarind in water
- ⅓ cup powdered jaggery
- around 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp saarina pudi/rasam powder
- ½ tbsp red chilli powder
- around 1 cup water( for soaking the tamarind and for gojju)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- Heat the oil in thick bottom pan on medium low heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal.
- After the dals turn golden brown add chopped hagalakayi, fry it on low heat until they are tender.
- After around 8 to 10 minutes, add turmeric powder, curry leaves
- Let it boil for 1 to 2 minutes, then add rasam powder, chilli powder. mix it well , add enough water to get the gojju consistency and let it boil for another 5 to 6 minutes on low heat
- Gojju is ready now. Turn off the heat.
- You can add roasted sesame seeds as well,