Badanekayi Palya | Eggplant curry | Eggplant Recipes
Please watch the video for tips and instructions for making the Badanelayi Palya.
Badanekayi palya or Eggplant / Brinjal / baingan Dry curry is a easy and delicious side dish for chapathi, rotti, and rice with little coconut oil. For best taste use green color brinjal or eggplant / Mysore badanekayi.
Try other Badanekayi / Eggplant / brinjal / Baingan recipes live Vangi bhath, sutta badanekayi mosaru bajji, Badanekayi ennegayi, badanekayi boLu huli/sambar
Ingredients for making badanekayi palya:
- 5 to 6 Brinjal / badanekai / Eggplant
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt ot salt to taste
- 1 tbsp powdered jaggery
- little tamarind soaked in little water
- chopped coriander leaves
- 2 to 3 tbsp grated dried coconut
- ½ tbsp split black gram / uddina beLe
- ½ tbsp split bengal gram / Kadale bele
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 byadgi red chillies
- 4 guntur red chillies (You can reduce or increase the amount of chillies)
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal / uddina bele
- few broken dried red chillies
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- Wash and trim the stem as shown and cut into relatively big pieces. and keep in a bowl of water
- Heat 1/4 tsp oil in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat add chana dal. fry for 30 seconds and add urad da, then add red chillies fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- Once the dals turn golden brown add coriander seeds and fry it for 15 seconds. Turn off the heat and transfer the masala to a mixer jar. Once it is cooled completely coarse powder the masala
- Keep the pan back on stove on medium low heat. Add oil. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, after it sputters add urad dal, add red chillies once the dal turns golden brown
- Add the cut brinjal , curry leaves and turmeric powder. Mix it well and cover it and cook it on medium low heat.
- Stir in between.
- Once the brinjal is half cooked add the tamarind extract, (don’t add too much water) jaggery, and salt. Mix it well.
- tot his cooked brinjal add the masala powder, dried coconut and mix it well. Fry it for 3 to 4 minutes. After 3 to 4 minutes, add chopped coriander leaves, mix it and turn off the heat .
- Serve this palya with rice, roti, rotti, chapathi…