Padavalakai palya | snake gourd stir fry | Padavalakayi recipes
Padavalakai or padavalakayi or snake gourd palya is an easy to make, tasty, and healthy side dish to sambar rice, rasam rice or rotti, chapathi as well. Try this malnad style snake gourd stir fry in the season. Another unique kootu recipe using padavalaki is also very tasty which you should give it a try. Recipe HERE.
Padavalakayi / snake gourd in english | Padavalaki in kannada, Pudalangai in Tamil and Potlakaya in telugu is a healthy vegetable which is a rich source of fiber, vitamin c and vitamin A as well. This vegetable has anti-inflammatory properties which helps to prevent heart problems, diabetes and arthritis.
Also this palya is no onion no garlic, vegan and gluten free recipe
Try our breakfast recipes
and check out and SUBSCRIBE to our SWAYAMPAAKA YOUTUBE CHANNEL for new recipes
Ingredients for making padavalakai palya:
- 2 padavalakayi / snake gourd
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp uddina bele / urad dal
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 3 green chilies (finely chopped)
- juice of 1/4 lemon/lime
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp powdered jaggery
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- Wash the snake gourd, cut both edges and peel the skin. Cut the padavalakai as shown here in the video
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium low heat, once the oil is hot add mustard seeds
- After it pops add urad dal, fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- Add chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, fry it for few seconds and add curry leaves
- and chopped padavalakayi,
- Add salt, mix it, cover it and reduce the heat to low and cook it for 10 to 12 minutes or until the padavalakai cooked well
- Make sure to mix in between.
- Once the snake gourd is cooked, add jaggery, mix it well. Finally add coconut and chopped coriander leaves, Mix it , turn off the heat.
- Palya is ready to serve with rice, rotti, chapathi…