Udupi Mangalore style Majjige Huli | Boodu Kumbalakayi Majjige HuLi
Udupi Mangalore style majjige huli or Kayi huLi recipe with detailed video instruction.
Majjige huLi is very famous popular side dish in Karnataka, each region in Karnataka make it in different ways. Some will prepare with soaking channa dal, some with soaking the rice or with lots of fresh coconut. Whichever the way we prepare this majjige huLi we need majjige or buttermilk or curd/yogurt. That is the main ingredient is this dish.
Majjige huLi can be prepared with many different vegetables too. Here we have used boodu kumbalakayi. You can use Mangalore southekayi / Cucumber, tondekayi , beans…. This udupi style majjige huli will be white in color while the Mysore style majjige huli we add little turmeric powder.
Majjige huLi goes well with rice, rotti . and best with Nuchcinunde 🙂
Mysore style majjige huLi recipe: CLICK HERE
- 2 to 2.5 cup cut boodu kumbalakayi
- Few curry leaves
- ½ tbsp salt
- Chopped Coriander leaves
- Water as needed
- ½ tbsp rice (wash and soak in water for an hour)
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 cup Fresh white coconut
- 3 green chillies
- ¼ cup curd/Yogurt
- 1.5 tsp coconut Oil or ghee
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Wash and soak the rice for an hour.
- Cook the cut winter melon in 2 cups of water on medium heat.
- Grind coconut, green chillies, jeera, and soaked rice along with little water to a coarse paste.
- Then add yogurt and pulse it.
- Add this to the cooked winter melon, add salt, and curry leaves. Mix it well. Allow it to boil.
- Stir it in between. Add water if needed to get the perfect consistency. Turn off the heat and add chopped coriander leaves.
Prepare the seasoning for majjige huli:
- Heat the coconut oil / ghee in a ladle on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutters add jeera. Leave it for 20 seconds and turn off the heat.
- Add this seasoning to the Majjige Huli
- Udupi Mangalore style majjige huLi is ready serve with rice, rotti….