Corn Flakes Mixture – fried yellow corn flakes mixture recipe with detailed video instruction
Crispy crunchy snacks are always a big hit in our home, the time I take to make these snacks is more compared to the time we take to finish 🙂 This particular corn flakes chivda is very easy to make and very tasty snack. We are not using the corn flakes cereal but this is dried corn flakes you will find in Indian stores as Corn Poha or in Bangalore you will find in the stores where they sell happala, onion rings and other fryums. Corn Poha is basically raw dried corn flakes aka Makka poha or Makai poha. These are not ready to eat cereal. Just deep fry this and add the salt and spice, that’s all it takes. Best after school snacks, with coffee / tea or bisibele bath or to travel.
I got introduced to this dried corn flakes snack 25+years back by my friend Veenadevi . She took me to the Uttara Karnataka food stalls one of the famous food stall at world famous Mysore dasara exhibition . Then I got hooked onto this addictive snack. I Should mention here this snack is very addictive :).
Ingredients for corn flakes mixture:
- 1 cup corn flakes(not the cereal corn flakes it is dried yellow corn flakes to be deep fried, corn Poha)
- ¼ cup peanuts / ground nuts
- ¼ cup dried coconut slices
- 20 to 25 curry leaves
- 10 to 15 cashews
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste or around 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp hurigadale / fried gram dal
- oil to fry
- Heat enough oil in a pan on medium high heat ( less oil is ok because we can fry the corn flakes in small batches)
- Once the oil is hot, check by adding few flakes, it will expand immediately
- now add handful of corn flakes, stir it , and once all the bubbles stops and it has to be yellow color not brown( it happens quickly) remove it and transfer it onto a paper towel)
- Repeat the same with remaining corn flakes
- once all the corn flakes are fried reduce the heat to medium low.
- Transfer the fried flakes to a big bowl.
- Now fry the peanuts on medium low heat until it is done, transfer this onto a paper towel.
- Fry cashews until the cashews are light brown, transfer this onto a paper towel.
- Then the dried coconut slices, until it turns golden brown transfer this onto a paper towel.
- Then Hurigadale until it turns golden yellow,transfer this onto a paper towel.
- Finally the curry leaves, fry it until they are crisp,transfer this onto a paper towel. turn off the heat.( if the curry leaves are fresh the fried ones will be green or it will be like this slightly brown
- Add all the fried ingredients to the fried corn flakes, mix it once
- Add salt, add chilli powder, mix it well and crispy corn chooha is ready to eat.