South Indian Snack Mixture is one of the addictive crunchy fried snack with sev, fried avalakki and more. As the name says it is mixture of many addictive snacks in one. Each region has its own name like Bombay Mixture, Madras Mixture …with minute differences in the mix.
It is very easy to make evening winter day snack with coffee or tea.
- 1 cup kadle hittu / Gram flour
- 3 tbsp oil ( for the dough)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp ajwain seeds
- ½ tsp Jeera powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Hing or asafetida
- Oil to fry
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder or jeerigemenasinapudi
- 1.5 tbsp hurigadale/fried gram dal
- 1.5 tbsp ground nuts/peanuts
- 2 to 3 tbsp dried coconut pieces
- 20 to 50 curry leaves
- Corn flakes ( maize poha)
- 1 tsp sugar(optional)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
also we need :
- Mix dry ingredients – kadle hittu, om kaalu, jeera powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, hing, and salt in a bowl.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil and add this to the above mix. Since the oil will be very hot, first use the spoon to mix it and then with the hand.
- Add water little by little and mix it until you get the chapathi dough consistency.
To fry the thick Sev/kharada kaddi:
- Heat the oil on medium heat.
- Grease the chakli oralu, and the sev disc.
- Fill the machine with the dough.
- Once the oil is hot enough(check by dropping little dough into the oil, it has to come up immediately) press the sev directly to the hot oil in a circular motion (watch the video )
- Fry it until sev turns golden color both sides, remove it using a perforated ladle and transfer it onto a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure with remaining dough.
- Fry peanuts, dried coconut pieces, curry leaves, corn flakes,and avalakki, separately one after the other.
- Combine all the fried items in a big bowl,break(crush) the sev to approximately 1.5 inch pieces, sprinkle salt, red chilli powder, and sugar, mix it using hand, so that the salt and spice will be coated to all.
- Spicy Mixture is ready to eat.