biLi huLi or sambar with green chilis and regular sambar masale.
Very tasty and simple to make #noOnionNoGarlic, #vegansambar recipe
Bored with the same sambar recipes? Try this unique recipe for sambar using green chillies and spices. Usually sambar /huli is prepared with red chilies and the color will be somewhat red, since we are using green chilies the color of the sambar is greenish white color hence the name bili(white) huli (sambar).
Hope you will try this special sambar recipe.
Ingredients for making bili huli:
- 3/4 cup toor dal / togari bele
- around 3 cups of cut green beans
- 6 cups of water(depends on the consistency of the sambar)
- 1 to 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- 1tbsp coriander seeds
- around 6 green chilies(more or less)
- few curry leaves
- pinch of hing/asafetida
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
- around 1 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp jaggery
- medium lemon sized tamarind
- 1 tsp oil
- pinch of hing
- 1/2 jeera / cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- Wash and pressure cook the dal along with 1.5cups of water, turmeric powder and oil on medium heat.
- Turn off the heat after 3 whistles.
- Wash and cut the green beans.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium low heat, while stirring add hing, methi seeds,jeera, green chillies(cut and add), curry leaves, coriander seeds, Fry it until the jeera turns golden brown.
- Once the jeera turn golden brown , add coconut, mix it and turn off the heat
- Cook the green beans in a pan along with 2 cups of water, a tsp of salt on medium heat
- grind the masala to a fine paste(Add enough water)
- once the beans are cooked well add masala, tamarind extract, curry leaves,
- Add cooked dal, mix it well. add remaining salt, jaggery, and enough water to get required consistency. Mix it well. let it boil on medium heat
- (I have used around 5.5 cups of water altogether.)
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat
- heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat. Once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, fry it for a few second
- Turn off the heat and add the seasoning to the sambar. Mix it well and Serve.
- You can use mixed vegetables, or even greens are ok for this recipe
- I am using coconut oil. you can use either ghee or any cooking oil