menthya gojju is very healthy , delicious, vegan and gluten free side dish.
Menthya Gojju or methi seeds gojju is a very delicious, healthy side dish for Rice, chapathi and rotti.
This gojju is great for short travel as well.
Menthya Gojju is a traditional karnataka/mysore style recipe, tasty with health benefits. this recipe video is from my mother.
Methi seeds / menthya / fenugreek seeds have lots of medicinal value. They are loaded with antioxidants. These seeds promote healthy hair, and help to relieve discomfort due to arthritis. They also help to avoid constipation and aids in liver function and digestion. It helps in reduction of cholesterol and removal of toxins from the body.
This menthya gojju is a vegetarian, vegan, gluten free side dish which goes well with rice, rotti and chapathi.
To make this as a travel dish, fry menthya with a little more oil and cook it until the oil leaves the gojju. Best with rotis, chapathis, tortillas and rice.
Ingredients for menthya gojju:
- 1/4 cup methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- key lime tamarind
- jaggery to taste
- 5 to 6 green chillies or to taste
- few curry leaves
- little coriander leaves
- 1/ 2 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp rock salt or salt to taste
- mustard seeds for masale and seasoning
- 2 to 3 tsp peanut oil or any cooking oil (for frying methi seeds and for seasoning)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- few red chilli pieces
- 1 cup water or as needed
- Heat the pan on medium heat
- Add 1/2 tsp oil, fry the green chilies
- as it changes its color remove it onto a plate.
- add 2 to 3 tsp oil , once the oil is hot add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, after it pops add red chilli pieces
- Now add methi seeds, reduce the heat to low,
- Fry it until methi seeds sputter and turn golden brown.
- When it becomes golden brown add 1/2 cup of water, mix it.
- Add curry leaves, mix it. Turn off the heat, cover it and keep it aside until we grind the masale.
- grind coconut, coriander leaves, green chilies,
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds,1/8 tsp turmeric powder, salt
- Grind it without adding water, then add water and grind it to coarse consistency
- Add the masala, jaggery to the fried menthya,
- Mix it well, let it cook/boil on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes
- Add enough water to get the gojju consistency. let it boil for 4 minutes
- turn off the heat, cover it. let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then serve.
- serve with rotti, rice and chapathi as well.