Kokum juice is a refreshing and tangy beverage made from the fruit of the kokum tree (Garcinia indica). While kokum is primarily known for its culinary uses in various regional cuisines, its juice offers several surprising benefits that you may not be aware of. Here are ten of them:
Kokum juice is known for its digestive properties. It helps stimulate the secretion of digestive enzymes, thereby promoting healthy digestion and preventing common digestive disorders like acidity and indigestion.
Kokum juice is low in calories and rich in dietary fiber, making it an excellent choice for those aiming to manage their weight. It helps control appetite and keeps you feeling full for longer periods, reducing the chances of overeating.
Regular consumption of kokum juice can boost your metabolism. A faster metabolism aids in burning calories efficiently, thus supporting weight loss and maintaining overall energy levels.
Kokum contains potent anti-inflammatory compounds, such as garcinol, which help reduce inflammation in the body. This property makes kokum juice beneficial for individuals dealing with inflammatory conditions like arthritis.
Kokum is rich in antioxidants, which play a crucial role in neutralizing harmful free radicals in the body. These antioxidants help protect the body against oxidative stress and may contribute to reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
Promotes Heart Health:
The presence of hydroxycitric acid in kokum juice helps lower cholesterol levels and triglycerides, promoting heart health. It also aids in maintaining healthy blood pressure levels, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Provides Essential Nutrients: Kokum juice is a good source of essential nutrients like vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, and minerals such as potassium and magnesium. These nutrients support various bodily functions, including immune system function and nerve health.
Kokum juice is known for its cooling effect on the body. It is commonly consumed during hot summer months to help combat heat-related issues like dehydration and heatstroke.
Detoxifies the Body:
Kokum juice acts as a natural detoxifier, helping to eliminate toxins from the body. It aids in cleansing the liver and improving its overall function.
The antioxidants present in kokum juice contribute to healthy skin by protecting it from damage caused by free radicals. It may help reduce signs of aging, improve skin elasticity, and promote a radiant complexion.
Remember to consult a healthcare professional before incorporating kokum juice or any new dietary changes into your routine, especially if you have any existing medical conditions or concerns.
Kokum, also known as Garcinia indica, is a fruit that goes by different names in various regions. Here are some of the different names for kokum:
- Kokam: This is the most common name for kokum and is widely used in India, particularly in the western coastal region.
- Aamsol: In some parts of Maharashtra, kokum is referred to as “aamsol.” It is commonly used in regional cuisines and for making beverages like solkadhi.
- Bhirand: This name is used in the Konkan region of Maharashtra, where kokum is grown abundantly.
- Bhinda: In Gujarat, kokum is commonly called “bhinda.” It is an essential ingredient in Gujarati cuisine and is used to add a tangy flavor to dishes.
- Ratamba: This name is used in parts of Karnataka, particularly in the Konkan region. Ratamba is used to prepare traditional dishes and beverages.
- Kokum Butter Tree: In English, Garcinia indica is often referred to as the “kokum butter tree.” The seeds of the fruit are used to extract kokum butter, which is used in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries.