balekai chutney | green banana chutney
Here is an addition to chutney archive – Healthy and tasty balekai chutney | green banana chutney. Chutney is a side dish which can be prepared with dals, vegetables, greens and sometimes fruits as well. Here in this recipe we are using green banana / balekayi as main ingredient. We already know the benefits of using green banana in our diet.
To name a few –
Plantains are high in fiber content. This makes you feel full for a longer period of time, reducing frequent cravings for food. Thereby, in the long run, it can help with weight loss.
Plantains are extremely rich Potassium and Magnesium.
Plantains are rich in vitamins, specifically Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin B-6.
Even though plantains are rich in starch, they are comparatively very low on the glycemic index scale. Consumption of plantains helps diabetic patients.
Plantain prevents gastrointestinal infectious diseases.
Plantain chips (with less salt or no salt) have more nutrients than the fresh ones!
Plantain takes longer to digest, keeps you full, which benefits diabetic patients and, also for weight loss.
So why wait, try this banana chutney today and enjoy the taste and the benefits. This vegan, gluten free, made without onion and garlic.
Hope you try other balekai or plantain recipes such as Plantain dosa, Balekai – plantain chips ,
More breakfast recipes and chutney recipes
Ingredients for balekayi chutney:
- 2 balekai / green banana
- 8 red chillies
- 1 tsp uddina bele / black gram / urad dal
- few curry leaves
- marble size tamarind (wash and soak in water)
- 1 tsp rock salt or salt to taste
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
- 2 tsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal / black gram
- 1 red chili
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- wash and peel the banana, cut into small cubes
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan, add red chillies, curry leaves and urad dal, fry it until the dals turn golden brown on low heat.
- Transfer it to a mixer jar, then keep the pan back on stove, add 1 tbsp oil,
- add hing, then add cut cut green banana, mix it and fry it until it is cooked
- Turn off the heat and let it cool
- Then grind the cooked banana along with salt, red chillies, tamarind extract,
- Then add jaggery, coconut, and some water and grind it to chutney consistency
- Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat. once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal,
- Fry it until the day turns golden brown, then add red chillies and curry leaves, Turn off the heat .
- add the seasoning to the chutney, mix it and serve.