banana chips Plantain chips or banana chips are popular Kerala snack. We used to buy it from the stores until my sister taught me how to do. She learned it when she was in Kasaragod, from her friend. It is very easy to make and tastes wonderful. Once you start doing at home you will never go back to the store bought plantain chips. To make this yummy chips use Nendra Balekayi or the long plantains we get here in Indian stores. Make sure to buy greener and hard plantains.
To know how plantain fairs against banana, please refer to our blog, Plantain Vs Banana, which is better?
Hope you try other balekai or plantain recipes such as Plantain dosa, Balekai – plantain chips ,
More breakfast recipes and chutney recipes
Ingredients for making Banana Chips:
- 2 Nendra Baalekaayi /Long plantains
- Around 1 cup Organic Virgin coconut oil
- around 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP water
- Little turmeric powder
- Mix salt, water, and turmeric powder and keep it ready. Peel the skin of the plantain.
- Salt, turmeric powder and water mix
- Use coconut oil for frying to get the authentic taste of chips.
- Heat the coconut oil on a medium heat.
- Either you slice the plantain directly onto the hot oil or slice it and get it ready.
- Once the oil is hot add the sliced plantain.
- Once the slices almost 3/4 cooked add 1/2 tsp of prepared salt water on the chips. Let it fry for more time. ( until the bubbles subsides )
- Once the chips becomes crispy remove it from the oil and transfer it onto a paper towel. (Don’t wait until the chips turns golden brown, it has be yellow only)
- Now crispy, flavorful Banana chips ready. Continue the same procedure.
Let it cool completely before you store it. Before even we store it it will be done for sure 🙂
- For 3 rd batch onwards, reduce the salt water quantity.
- Do not slice all the plantains at once. Do it batch by Batch.