Green Tomato Chutney | Tomato Chutney | tomato kai chutney | chatni recipes
Watch the video for the detailed instructions.
Tomatoes are in season now. With the fresh and seasonal tomatoes it is the best time to make tomato recipes such as Tomato thokku, tomato saru / rasam, tomato chutney, tomato rice, …
… Here in this recipe we have used green tomatoes / tomato kayi to make the chutney. It is No Onion, No Garlic recipe and Vegan and gluten free as well.
Serve this chutney with rice, rotti…
Try these Tomato based recipes
tomato saru / rasam,
Ingredients for making green tomato chutney:
- around 8 green chilies(more or less)
- 7 to 8 Medium size tomato
- 1.5 tsp coconut oil(any edible oil) for frying tomato
- Coriander leaves
- If you don’t have coriander leaves use 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal /uddina bele /split black gram to fry with tomato
- 1/2 cup grated coconut(optional)
- 1.5 tsp rock salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil(any edible oil)
- pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal /uddina bele /split black gram
- 1 byadagi red chili
- few curry leaves
- Wash and cut the tomatoes as shown in the video
- Heat 1.5 tsp oil in a pan on medium heat
- Once the oil is hot add urad dal, as the dal turns golden brown, cut/break the green chilies and add
- Once the green chilies turn white, add coriander leaves and fry it for 30 seconds and then transfer everything to the mixer jar.
- Keep the pan back on the stove, add chopped tomatoes, mix it, cover it and let it cook. Make sure to stir in between
- Once the tomatoes are cooked well, turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Grind coconut,salt, cooked and cooled tomatoes along with the chilies and coriander leaves to a coarse paste. Transfer it to a bowl
- Heat the oil in ladle, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal,
- Once the urad dal turns golden brown add curry leaves and red chili pieces, fry it for a few seconds and turn off the heat.
- add the seasoning to the chutney, Mix it.This tomato Chutney is ready . Serve with rotti, rice, chapathi, idli..
- After making chutney, If you fry this chutney with more oil you can store it for 4 to 5 days.