dal tadka is basically south indian simple tovve which goes with rice. dhal is split lentils and tadka is seasoning / oggarane. This dish can be made using toor dal, moong dal or chana dal as well.
In restaurants the dal tadka is served with aromatic jeera rice. So please try this dal tadka with jeera rice and share your comments below.
Archive of recipes:
Ingredients for dal tadka:
- 1/2 cup togari bele / toor dal
- 2 tbsp moong dal / hesaru bele
- 1.5 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- pinch of hing
- 2 to 4 finely chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp rock salt or salt to taste
- 1 medium size onion and tomato – finely chopped
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- juice of half lemon
- ~2.5 cups of water
- Wash the dals 2 to 3 times, add 1.5 cups of water along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp oil
- Pressure cook the dal on medium high heat. Turn off after 4 to 5 whistles
- dals are cooked well.
To make the dal:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add jeera, after it sizzles add chopped garlic.
- fry it, then add chopped green chilies. Keep stirring, add hing, turmeric powder and chopped onions, sprinkle little salt, stir it for a minute.
- then add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, jeera powder. Mix it well.
- add cooked dal, salt, and enough water to get this consistency. Let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat
- After 3 minutes- add chopped coriander leaves, then turn off the heat.
- if the dal thickens after it is cooled , add some boiling water and serve.
- Serve the Dal tadka with Jeera rice