Gongura dal | gongura thove | pundi soppina tovve recipe
Gongura leaves dal or gongura tovve is a very easy, tasty and healthy dish for rice.
Benefits of these greens / pundi soppu are :
Gongura/pundi/sorrel leaves are sour tasting greens which are an excellent source of vitamin C, Vitamin A and Iron. There are two varieties, green stemmed leaf which is less sour then the red stemmed variety which is more sour.It contains high amount of oxalates, it may not be suitable for people suffering from or prone to kidney stones.
Another gongura recipe is this Gongura pickle / thokku
Ingredients for gongura dal:
- 2 big handful of pundi/gongura leaves pluck the leaves from the stem and discard the stem
- wash and drain the water
- 1 tsp jaggery ( optional)
- 1/2 cup of toor dal/ togari bele
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 small onion
- Little oil
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit.
- 1.5 to 2 cups of water
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 dried red chili
- few curry leaves
- pinch of hing
- Wash the toor dal 2 to 3 times and pressure cook this dal with 1 cup of water along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, little oil, green chilies, turn off the heat after 3 whistles on medium high heat
- Chop the leaves, and onion(optional)
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan(which you are preparing the dal)
- once the oil is hot add chopped onions (if using onions, if not add chopped greens) ) , sprinkle little salt, and saute it for few seconds,
- add chopped greens, stir it until it changes the color
- add 1/2 cup to 1 cup water, let it cook /boil for 5 minutes
- Once the leaves are cooked, add cooked dal, salt , curry leaves and jaggery. Mix it well.
- Let it cook/boil for 6 to 8 minutes on medium heat. Then turn off the heat.
- Now the tovve is done,
For seasoning :
- Heat 2 tsp cooking oil in a ladle.
- Once the oil is hot, add hing, mustard seeds. After it pops, add jeera, once it sizzles , add red chili pieces, curry leaves and little turmeric powder.
- Turn off the heat and add this seasoning to the dal/tovve. Serve with hot rice!