Millet Halbai / navanakki halbai recipe
Halbai is the traditional sweet prepared in karnataka especially Malnad and Mysore region. This sweet has a rich flavor of coconut and goodness from jaggery. We have a traditional halbai recipe and another easy to make rave halbai recipe . In this recipe we have used foxtail millet / ನವಣಕ್ಕಿ instead of rice. Try this and please do share your comments.
This is VEGAN and gluten free sweet recipe
- 1/2 cup ನವಣೆ ಅಕ್ಕಿ/foxtail millet
- 1 cup jaggery
- 3 cardamoms
- 1.5 cup grated fresh coconut
- 3 cup water
- grease a plate with ghee or oil and keep it ready
- Wash and soak the millet with 1 cup of water overnight
- Melt the jaggery with 1/4 cup of water and then strain it to the thick bottom pan
- Grind the soaked millet along with coconut, and cardamom to a fine paste. Add water if needed
- Transfer the ground paste to the pan, add some water to the mixer jar and add that as well
- Turn on the heat to medium and start stirring.
- Once the mix starts to thicken reduce the heat to medium low
- Stir it until the halbai mix starts to leave the pan
- If you like to add ghee this is the time to add
- Now it is ready, transfer the halbai to the greased plate, spread it as you flatten it,
- Grease the knife and cut the halbai into desired shape. and serve.
- We can make around 30 pieces