Aiki kadubu | Undlige – Please watch the video for detailed instructions,
Undlige or akki kadubu is one of the easiest and tastiest breakfast foods of Malnad region.
When it comes to breakfast it is always a question, what to prepare? Everyday we will look for something different. Here is one of the healthy and delicious breakfast from malenaadu region of Karnataka – undlige/undi/akkitari kadubu/pundi gatti. It can be prepared with rice flour which is popularly called hittina kadubu.
We already have the recipe for this undlige using rice rave / akki tari. In this recipe we are soaking the rice and making the undlige. Undlige is Gluten free breakfast goes well with chutney and sambar as well.
Ingredients for making Aiki kadubu | Undlige:
- 2 cup rice
- 3¼ cup water
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 3/4 cup ( more or less ) dried coconut or grated fresh coconut
- Wash and soak the rice with 2 cups of water for 3hours or more
- Transfer some water from the soaked rice to a cup, then grind along with dried coconut to a coarse consistency
- Transfer this paste to a pan, add the water to the mixer jar, rinse it and add that as well.
- Cover it and keep it aside for 8 hours or overnight to ferment
- Mix the fermented batter thoroughly, and add more water to get the required consistency , that is neer dosa batter consistency Total water I used is around 3 cups.
- Add salt and mix it
- Once the oil is hot add cumin seeds, after a few seconds add the rice batter.
- stir it continuously until the batter becomes thick ( to check- wet your hand and touch the mix, it should not be sticky) turn off the heat.
To steam cook the undlige / kadubu:
- Grease the plate or cooker pan,
- Make same size balls and press to flatten it, If the mis is too hot dip you palm in the cold water and make the balls
- Arrange the prepared undlige in the greased pan
- STeam cook this on medium high heat for 20 to 25 minutes, Then turn off the heat
- Undlige / rice kadubu is ready. Serve this with coconut chutney, ghee or onion sambar!
- we can make around 20 to 25 undlige