Halasinakayi huLi / jackfruit sambar recipe – please watch the video for “ how to cut the jackfruit and how to make sambar “
Sambar is the best food invention by south Indians. Each family has its own recipes for sambar and changing the the quantity of the ingredients results in different tastes and each sambar is unique in its own flavor and taste.
Here in this sambar / huLi we are not using any bELe / dals / lentils. The thickness and taste is mainly of the jackfruit, coconut and masala. This is a specialty of malnad- udupi region. Try this tasty huLi with fresh or frozen tender jackfruit.
DOn’t forget to check other sambar / huLi recipes such as radish sambar, mixed vegetable sambar, badanekayi boLu huLi and more sambar recipes CLICK HERE
Ingredients for making halasinakayi huLi:
- Unripe / tender jackfruit /halasina kaayi
- ¼ tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp menthya / fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 5 to6 byadagi red chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- around 10 jeerigemenasina kayi or
- 2 green chillies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp hing/asafetida
Also we need:
- 1 cup coconut(fresh)
- 3/4 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- Medium lemon size tamarind (wash and soak it in water)
- around 3 1/2 cup water
- for huLi – 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- Cut the jackfruit into half, wash or remove the meNa/sap as shown . watch the video for “ how to cut the unripe jackfruit)
- pressure cook the cut jackfruit along with 1/2 cup of water on medium heat. Turn off the heat after 2 whistles.
- once the cooker is cooled completely, transfer this to a pan
- Heat ¼ tsp oil in a pan and add methi seeds, jeera, red chillies, and curry leaves and hing one by one stirring continuously.
- Once jeera and methi seeds(turns golden yellow) are done add coriander seeds and small chillies or green chillies. Fry it for a few seconds and turn off the heat. add coconut, mix it and allow it to cool.
- Then grind this masala along with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water to coarse consistency
- add the ground masala to the cooked jackfruit along with enough water, salt, and tamarind extract. Mix it well.
- After 10 minutes – sambar/huLi is ready. turn off the heat and add chopped coriander leaves
- heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat.
- heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, after it sputters add jeera, fry it for few seconds, then add turmeric powder and turn off the heat
- add this seasoning to the huLi, mix it and halasinakayi huLi / jackfruit sambar is ready to serve.