Watch the video for detailed instructions for Vadape recipe.
Vadape or odape traditional breakfast which is almost becoming extinct. Vadape is a gluten free cucumber rotti prepared by soaking the rice and methi seeds, and making the batter using spices as well. Try this rotti to experience the taste of malnad breakfast.
Ingredients for making Vadape:
1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 tsp menthya / fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 byadagi red chillies
- 1/2 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 cucumber
- 4 finely chopped green chillies
- finely chopped 1 small onion
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp jeerige/cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Wash and soak rice and menthya with 1 cup of water for minimum 2 hours or overnight
- Transfer little water from the soaked rice and then grind it along with salt, red chillies, jeera,
- cut the cucumber and add that as well and grind it to a fine paste
- transfer the paste to thick bottom pan and add some water to mixer jar and add that as well.( i have used around 1¼ cup water all together
- keep this mix on the stove on medium high heat and mix it, once it starts to becomes thick , reduce the heat.
- When the mix becomes thick, turn off the heat, stir it few more times.
- Add the other ingredients like onion, chillies, coriander leaves, jeera and mix it.
- add rice flour and mix it.
To make the Vadape:
- Heat the tava on medium heat.
- warm the banana leaf ( or you can use parchment or baking paper to make the rotti.
- grease the banana leaf and then take required amount of dough, make a ball, place it on the leaf and press with your palm to make a circle. make few holes as shown
- place the prepared vadape on the hot skillet and remove the leaf. Put some oil
- after a minute… flip it to the other side and let it cook.
- now it is cooked on both sides , odape is ready to serve.
- repeat the same procedure with remaining dough.
- we can make around 15 rotti, serve hot with butter or ghee or chutney