Avalakki cutlet is modification of popular Indian street chaat Potato cutlet. This poha cutlet can be served as snack, breakfast with mint chutney or tomato sauce or ketchup. We use Avalakki or poha or flattened rice in many our dishes like Avalakki oggarane, huli bellada avalakki, avalakki masale, kayi sasive avalakki, and most popular karnataka food gojjavalakki, and many more..
These Avalakki Cutlets taste good when it is served hot.
For more avalakki or Poha recipes check these AVALAKKI RECIPES.
Here in this cutlet recipe we have used potato as binding agent, you can use sweet potato as well.
Ingredients for avalakki cutlet:
- 1 cup medium poha/avalakki
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium size cooked potato
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 to 4 finely chopped green chillies
- ½ tbsp oil + more
Yields around 20 small cutlets:
- Wash the avalakki/poha thoroughly and drain the water(no need to soak the avalakki in water) keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a pan, once hot add jeera, green chillies, garlic, and ginger and fry it for few seconds.
- After 30 seconds add chopped onion and turmeric powder, fry it for 1 to 2 minutes on medium low heat.
- After 5 minutes, to the avalakki add mashed potato, the seasoning(onion masala mix), salt, chopped coriander leaves and squeeze the lemon juice.. Mix it really well.
- Grease the skillet generously, heat it on medium low heat, take desired amount of the mix, make a ball and flatten it ,place it on the hot tava, make few more and place it.
- Put some oil around the cutlets and allow it to cook
- Flip the cutlets, put some oil and cook until both sides becomes golden brown.
- Once cutlets turned golden brown on both sides, remove it from the tava and serve hot Avalakki cutlets with chutney or sauce.
- Repeat the same procedure with remaining mix.