AvarekaaLu uppittu is very delicious and easy to make breakfast dish. avarekalu Uppittu can be prepared in many different ways, but this is the way my mother makes it. It simple yet delicious uppittu without oggarane. Vegan, gluten free, and no onion no garlic breakfast dish.
Ingredients for making avarekaaLu uppittu:
- 2 to 2 1/4 cup avarekaaLu
- 1 cup akki tari or bansi rave
- 3 cup water
- 1 tbsp jeerige
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil
- around 3/4 tbsp salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp jaggery
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
To make akki thari:
- take regular rice, grind it and sieve it , use the fine flour for making rotti, use the thari to make uppittu
- Pressure cook avarekaalu with 3 cups of water on medium heat for 2 to 3 whistles and then turn off the heat
- Crush pepper and jeera using mortar and pestle, keep it ready.
- Dry roast the akki thari until it slightly changes its color.
- If it is bansi rave then just warm it.
- Take the cooked avarekaalu in a thick bottom pan along with the water. add salt, let it boil for a minute on medium heat.
- After a minute, add crushed jeera and pepper along with jaggery, oil, and 1/4 of the coconut. Mix it and let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat
- After 2 minutes, reduce the heat to low, add roasted rava slowly and mixing continuously
- Then cover it and let it cook on low heat for 5 to 6 minutes,. make sure you stir in between to avoid burning.
- Finally after 5 minutes, add remaining coconut, and 2 spoons of ghhe, mix it, turn off the heat. Cover it and keep it aside for 5 to 6 minutes.
- while uppittu is still warm, grease the hands with ghee, make balls like this and eat it later or you can eat when it is hot.