Mandalu Oggarane is a very famous popular snack and breakfast dish in the North Karnataka region. This mandakki oggarane is served with Mirchi / menasinakayi bajji. This mandalu oggarane popularly called Mandakki usli/uppittu, oggarane mirchi…This snack is extremely easy to make and super delicious. Best breakfast to prepare if you are in hurry.
In the ingredient list we have mentioned 10 cups of pure, you might be wondering why we need so much! The reason is that puri is hollow, unlike avalakki/poha. When we soak it, it reduces in volume – if we used only a cup or two, it would not be enough even for a 5 year old!
Try this mandalu oggarane with Menasinakayi Bajji/ mirchi!
- 10 cup Bangalore puri ( if it is not available you can use any variety)
- 2 Medium size onion (chopped)
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 small Lemon
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP Fried gram Powder å
- 4 green chillies
- Water to wash puri
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 TBSP urad dal
- 10 curry leaves
- Little finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Watch the video for tips and instructions in Kannada
- Soak the puri/Mandakki in a big pan of water for a few seconds say 20 to 30 seconds.
- Then squeeze the water and keep it in a plate .
- Keep a pan on medium flame, add oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, when mustard pops add urad palfrey it until the urad dal turns gold color. Add chill and after 20 seconds add onion, and curry leaves. Fry till onion turns golden color.
- Add turmeric, mix it and now add wet puri, salt mix it well and fry for 5 minutes.
- Finally add Fried gram powder, grated coconut,coriander leaves and lemon juice mix it well and switch off the stove.
- Enjoy this Mandalu Oggarane with Uppacchida Menasina kaayi.