Oats khichdi / Oats huggi with vegetables / oats pongal recipe with detailed video instructions.
Huggi /Pongal / khichdi is one of the healthiest foods. Perfect blend of carbohydrates. Proteins, and all important nutrients. Usually the pongal is prepared with the rice and moong dal, in this recipe I prepared the dish with Steel Cut Oats and moong dal along with vegetables such as beans, carrots, peas, capsicum and onion. Healthy, quick and tasty breakfast or lunch or dinner for working mothers as well.
Ingredients for making oats khichdi:
- ¾ cup steel cut oats
- 3 to 3.5 cup water (1.5 cup water for dal) and remaining for cooking the oats
- 1/2 cup split green gram/moong dal
- ½ tsp oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
For making the Pongal:
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 4 green chillies (split or chopped)
- pinch of hing
- few curry leaves
- chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ cup fresh coconut
- 1¼ tsp salt or salt to taste
- Around ¼ to ½ cup of Finely chopped green beans, carrots, red or green capsicum, frozen or fresh peas each
- Wash and pressure cook the dal with 1.5 cup water along with 1/2 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder on medium high heat.
- Dry roast the oats on medium heat for a minute and transfer it to a plate
- Keep the pan back on the stove and add oil. To the hot oil add mustard seeds, after it sputters add jeera, fry it for few seconds. Then add green chillies, once it turns white add pepper powder, curry leaves, chopped onion and a little salt. Keep stirring while adding the ingredients
- Fry it for 1/2 minute, add vegetables, stir it, cover it and cook this for a minute
- Add remaining water, and salt, mix it well cover it and let the vegetables and oats cook
- After 5 minutes, to this cooked oats and vegetables add cooked dal, and coconut, reduce the heat and cook it uncovered for a minute or 2
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot pongal / khichdi as it is or with ghee or raita