This particular popular South Indian popular dish has lots of names- Paddu, gundponglu,appe, paniyaram, guliappa and so on…And this can be prepared in many different ways too. Either you can make plain and simple guliappa with the prepared fermented batter or add masala and make it spicy. Fermenting the batter is the key thing here.
Ingredients for making paddu:
- 1 cup rice (any rice can be used here)
- 1/2 cup puffed rice puri/mamra/mandakki
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 2.5 to 3 cup water
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Oil to make the paddu
and Paddu pan
We may need:
- 1 medium size Finely chopped onion
- hand ful of Finely chopped coriander leaves
- 4 to 5 finely chopped green chillies
Please watch the video for tips and instruction in Kannada
- Wash all the ingredients, rice and urad dal together
- Wash puri separately and mix it with the above
- Soak all the ingredients in a bowl with 2 to 2.5 cup water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Then grind it to a fine paste. Add water accordingly.
- Transfer it to a big pan, add salt and mix it really well and cover it and ferment it for 8 to 10 hours.
- Now you can use this batter and make plain paddu or have the onion, chillies and coriander leaves/cilantro ready
- Finely chop onion,cilantro and green chillies
- Mix it with the batter and keep it ready
- Now grease the paddu pan with generous amount of oil,(if it is cast iron pan) and heat it on medium heat
- Once the pan is hot, pour the batter to each one
- Cover it and cook it for few minutes, then add few drops of oil to each and turn it over to cook the other side, it has to be golden brown on both sides.
- Once the paddu turns golden brown on both sides, remove it from the pan and transfer it to a plate.
- Enjoy the hot paddus with coconut chutney.
- To make more paddu, follow the same procedure, don’t forget to put oil generously to the pan before you pour the batter(every time). Enjoy!
You can use the left over dosa or idli batter to make this gundponglu.