Puffed paddy Upma or Bhattada araLina uppittu is healthy and delicious breakfast dish. Easy on the stomach and easy to make. This is Vegan, gluten free and no onion, no garlic breakfast.
Puffed paddy Upma, also known as Bhattada araLina uppittu, is a flavorful and nutritious dish originating from the southern regions of India. This traditional recipe features puffed rice grains sautéed with a medley of aromatic spices, vegetables, and lentils. The light and fluffy texture of the puffed rice combined with the vibrant flavors of the seasonings create a delightful and satisfying breakfast or snack option. Puffed paddy Upma is not only easy to prepare but also provides a wholesome source of carbohydrates, fiber, and essential nutrients, making it a popular choice for those seeking a quick and nutritious meal.
Try other araLu recipe is bhattada araLina paanaka
- 10 cups of puffed paddy rice / battada araLu (clean the araLu before using it)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp uddina bELe / urad dal / split black gram dal
- 1/2 tsp kadle bele / chana dal / split bengal gram
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp peanuts/groundnuts
- 2 to 4 green chillies
- 1/8th tsp jeerigemenasina powder(optional)
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder( optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup or more grated fresh coconut
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- juice of half a lemon
- Rinse the araLu in big pan of water, and remove immediately onto a colander, don’t soak
- Heat the oil in a pan, once hot add mustard seeds
- After it pops add chana dal, urad dal and peanuts, fry it until the dals turn golden brown.
- Once the dals turn golden brown add chopped green chilies and fry it for few seconds
- add curry leaves, turmeric powder, mix it and now add the araLu.
- Add salt and jaggery powder, gently start mixing it on low heat
- after 4 to 5 minutes on low heat — add chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- and squeeze the lemon juice, mix it,
- Turn off the heat and uppittu is ready to serve.