Davanagere Benne Dosa | Benne Dosa
Davanagere Benne Dosa recipe with Palya and chutney:
When I say benne dose / Benne dosa / Butter dosa first thing which comes to our mind is Davenagere benne dosa Here is the recipe to world famous benne dosa, and the chutney to go with dosa and Potato onion palya recipe as well. This recipe is almost 20 years old.
When I moved to America, I used to bring the paper cuttings of the recipes and I used to try. This is one of those recipes I used to make and you will get the perfect taste of Davanagere Benne Dose.
Try this Masala Dosa, sada dosa, cucumber dosa, and MORE DOSA RECIPES HERE
Ingredients for making Davanagere Benne Dosa:
For dosa batter:
- 1.5 cup akki/ rice (dosa rice or even sona masoori works fine)
- 1/2 cup uddina bele / Urad dal
- 2 tsp menthya / methi seeds/ fenugreek seeds
- 3 tbsp avalakki
- around 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- generous amount of butter
For making the Chutney:
- 1.5 cup grated fresh coconut
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- 6 to 8 green chillies( more or less)
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 1 clove
- 1 cardamom
- small piece of cinnamon
- around 3/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- around 1/2 cup water
For making Potato Onion Palya:
- 4 potato ( wash and cook, then mash the potato, keep it ready
- 1 medium size onion ( finely chop and keep it ready
- 2 green chillies(chopped)
- 1¼ tsp to 1.5 tsp salt to salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
To make the Dosa Batter:
- Wash rice, split black gram, methi seeds and avalakki thoroughly and soak this in 2 cups of water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight
- grind the soaked ingredients to a fine paste( if you are using the grinder add all water, if you are using mixer to grind, use less water)
- Transfer the dosa batter to a big pan/container. add 1/4 cup water to the grinder and add that as well.
- add rice flour, and salt. Mix it well. Then add 1/2 cup of water, mix it , cover it and keep it in warm place to ferment( 6 to 8 hours or overnight )
Making the chutney:
- Heat around 1/4 tsp oil in ladle, once hot add the broken chillies and fry it until chillies turns white. Turn off the heat
- Grind all the ingredients along with the chillies to a relatively fine paste. add enough water to get this consistency.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops turn off the heat
- Add the seasoning to the chutney and chutney is ready
Making Potato onion Palya:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat,once hot add chopped green chilli and onion. Sprinkle some salt, fry it for a minute
- Add mashed potatoes, add few curry leaves, remaining salt and mix it well. Turn off the heat. And potato onion palya is ready
Making Benne Dosa:
- Mix the fermented Dosa batter.
- Grease and heat the tava on medium heat
- Once the tava is hot ( wipe off any extra oil on the tava using a clean cloth or paper towel) take a ladle full of batter and pour it in the center and make the dosa as shown in the video
- Now put the butter generously and cover it with a lid
- once it is cooked on one side, flip it to the other side and let it cook for few seconds.
- again flip the dose back and you have to add some more butter ( yes butter 2 times) and let it cook until the butter melts completely .
- Remove it from the tava and serve the hot dosa with chutney and Palya.
- Before making the next one wipe the extra oil on the tava using a clean cloth( I recommend the cloth) or paper towel). Sprinkle some water and make the next dosa