Bellada Anna | Gudanna | Sweet Coconut Jaggery Rice
Bellada Anna or Kayanna popularly called Gudanna / Sweet Coconut Jaggery Rice is a traditional sweet prepared during festival days. It has so rich flavor of coconut and jaggery. it is so appetizing and irresistible sweet : )I Love the way my mother makes this sweet. It is just amazing. Here I am sharing the same recipe the way she does! This is quick and easy sweet to prepare.
- ½ cup rice(ಅಕ್ಕಿ)
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup water(ನೀರು)
- 1 cup grated coconut(ಕಾಯಿ ತುರಿ)
- ¾ to 1 cup jaggery (ಬೆಲ್ಲ)
- 3 to 4 TBSP water(ನೀರು)
- 2 to 3 TBSP ghee(ತುಪ್ಪ)
- 1 to 2 TBSP raisins(ಒಣ ದ್ರಾಕ್ಷಿ)
- 8 to 10 cashews cut into small pieces(ಗೋಡಂಬಿ ಚೂರುಗಳು)
- 3 to 4 cardamoms(¼ tsp powder)(ಏಲಕ್ಕಿ)
- Wash and cook the rice in rice cooker or pressure cooker (with 1 to 1¼ cup of water and little oil allow it to just warm)
- Melt the jaggery and strain it through a clean cloth or strainer.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan on medium low heat, and fry cashews until it turns golden brown.
- Then add raisins and fry it until it puffs up. Remove both to a plate( you can fry both the cashews and raisins together or separately)
- Now to the same pan add cleaned jaggery syrup and let it boil.
- Add grated coconut to the syrup once it starts to boil, add the cooked rice, and mix it
- cover it and let it cook on low heat for 10 minutes, add ghee and mix it.
- Once all the water evaporates(usually it takes to 10 minutes)turn off the heat and add cardamom powder and fried cashews and raisins
- Mix it well and Kayanna is ready to eat !