Carrot holige recipe – with detailed video instructions.
Happy and prosperous new year / happy yugaadi to all of our viewers. We pray to god to let Shaarvari naama samvatsara bring us all good health, and happiness.
Here is the simple recipe to make obbattu / bobbatlu/holige using carrot. Carrot holige is easy to make and delicious as well. Please do try and share your feedback!
For other yugaadi recipe are CLICK HERE.
Ingredients for making carrot holige:
- 2 carrots (100 grams)
- 1 firmly packed cup of dried coconut (100 grams)
- 3 cardamoms
- 1/2 cup sugar(125 grams)
- 3/4 cup maida/all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp chiroti rave/sanna rave / fine sooji
- ¼ cup+2 tbsp water(water quantity depends on the consistency of the dough)
- oil for kanaka – 2.5 tbsp
- and oil to make hoLige
with the given measurement we can make around 10 holige
- Combine maida, rave, in a bowl. add 1/2 tbsp oil. Mix it well
- then add 1/4 cup water, mix it . add more if needed to get the desired dough consistency
- 1 have used 1/4 cup+2 tbsp water.
- Now pour 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil on top, cover it and keep it side for minimum 3 hours.3+hours is good
- Wash and peel and cut the carrots.
- Pressure cook the carrots(without adding water to cook) on medium heat . turn off the heat after 1 whistle.
- powder the sugar and cardamom together, transfer this to a big bowl
- Now grind the dried coconut to a fine powder, add it to the powdered sugar
- Once the carrots are cooled completely, grind this to a fine paste( do not add water)
- add the paste to sugar, coconut mix.
- Mix it well. Consistency of the filling is we should be able to make a ball. if you cannot make the ball, grind little more kobri(dried coconut and add)
To make the Obbattu:
- After 3 + hours – Knead the dough again.
- If you are using banana leaf -warm the banana leaf and grease it,
- you can divide the dough and filling into 10 to 12 equal parts, or just take a desired amount of dough and filling as shown and follow the procedure
- Grease the palm and the fingers, take the dough ,flatten it as shown, place the filling ball in the center, cover it with the dough, squeeze out any extra dough .
- place it on the greased leaf, pat it or roll into circle using rolling pin
- grease and heat the tava on medium low heat.
- Once the tava is hot , transfer the rolled holige onto the hot tava.
- after few seconds, flip the holige, let it cook on other side as well
- Then remove it and place it on a plate
- If you don’t have banana leaves you can use plastic sheet and flour to make the obbattu.
- dip in the flour as and when needed and place it on a sheet of plastic. and roll
- follow the same procedure to cook the holige
- follow the same procedure to make more hoLige. I feel it is easier to roll the holige using flour.