Rava Rotti | sajjige Rotti | semolina roti
Rava rotti/ rave rotti / sajjige rotti is easy to make tasty and healthy south indian breakfast.
We use upma rava / local rava /coarse semolina/coarse sooji to make this rotti. This rotti can be prepared as simple as using only three ingredients – rava, coconut and salt or we can add onion, coriander leaves, jeera, and we can add any green like chopped methi leaves, dill leaves…. This rotti is done directly on the hot tava. It does need some practice but I am sure you will learn soon. Try this recipe and share your comments.
Try the other malnad recipe akki rotti as well.
For other breakfast recipes👉 CLICK HERE
Ingredients for making rava rotti:
- 1 cup medium rave/local rave/upma rava/ coarse sooji/semolina
- 1/2 cup curd/yogurt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion(optional)
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (Finely chopped)
- 4 to 5 finely chopped green chillies
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder(optional)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of water
- oil to make the rotti
- Combine rava, yogurt and water in a bowl and keep it aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, add all the other ingredients(except oil) , mix it well. Add enough water and get this batter to idli batter consistency.( I have used little more than 1 1/4 cup of water)
- grease and heat the tava on medium heat.
- Before making the rotti keep a bowl of water ready to dip the fingers while making the rotti.(please watch video for the procedure)
- Once the tava is hot, mix the batter once again and pour a ladleful of batter in the center,
- start spreading the batter to make a circle. dip your fingers in cold water while doing it
- put some oil on top and around the edges , cover it and cook it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- flip the rotti and cook it on the other side as well. put some oil if you like.
- Once the rotti is cooked well on both sides, take the rotti out from the tava and Serve.
- repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter.
- serve with chutney, sagu, curd….
- 1 cup rave yields 6 rottis
- If you want crisp rotti, add oil generously and leave it on medium low heat for 1 to 2 minutes more time .