Green mango halva | Mango Halwa | mavinakayi halva or jam – please watch the video for detailed instructions and tips
Green mango halva is easy, tasty sweet cannot be missed during mango season.
This is Vegan sweet, I have used fresh coconut oil, if you are not vegan please use ghee for better taste,
Other mango recipes you can try are Mango rice, mango kesari bhath, mango pickle and MORE MANGO RECIPES HERE.
Check these BREAKFAST Recipes
Some of the health benefits of this super healthy Green Mango / mavina kayi are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Eating green mango with salt during the summer time helps to prevent water loss from the body. It helps in reducing liver problems and cleans the bacterial infections in the intestine. It is amazing that the nature gives us the right vegetables and fruits to take care of our body for seasonal changes. Green Mango is available usually during early summer, eating this will keep us hydrated, likewise eating Ellu Bella in Sankrathi keep us away from the dryness of skin. My sincere suggestion is please visit local markets, buy locally grown Organic vegetables and fruits. Consuming local, seasonal produce helps our body to rejuvenate, heal and moreover it is fresh 🙂
Ingredients for making green mango halva:
- 2 tOtApuri mavinakayi | ginimooti mavinakaayi | or any green mango
- 1 to 2 tbsp fresh coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tbsp each of the following
- around 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 cup sugar (quantity depends on the sourness of the mango)
- Wash and peel the skin, then grate the mango using a grater
- Heat the oil /ghee in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat, fry cashews, almonds and raisins.
- transfer to a plate
- Squeeze the juice from the grated mango to a cup, Keep the pan back on the stove, add the grated mango to the pan
- (you can use this juice to make chutney, gojju, or to huli/sambar)
- Stir it for a minute or 2, then add sugar. Mix it
- Increase the heat to medium, Cook until halva thickens. Stirring in between.
- Once the halva becomes thick, reduce the flame to low.
- If you feel the halva is sticking to the pan, add some oil / ghee .
- Once the halva leaves the bottom of the pan add cardamom powder. Mix it
- Finally add fried nuts and raisins. Halva /jam is ready
- Now turn off the heat.
- It took 20 minutes on medium flame.
- You can store this for a week @room temperature and 1 to 2 months in the refrigerator.