Menthya hittu is a multipurpose, protein rich powder. My amma used to make it and used this mentya ( Fenugreek) hittu in many dishes. When I was young, I never used to bother about how you prepare anything, but once I started cooking I started asking my mother every dish she used to make. Menthe hittu was one of the most surprising all purpose powder. Amma told me that she used it in 4 different dishes, each with its own different ruchi, or taste. Here is the recipe to one super powder!
You can use this powder to make –
Menthya hittina Gojju for Pongal.
- 1/2 cup channa dal
- around 1/4 cup urad dal
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 3 to 5 dried red chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds/menthya If we add more the powder becomes too bitter to taste, so add according to your liking
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder / dried turmeric pieces
- 1/2 tsp hing(skip this for gluten free option)
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp oil
- Dry roast all the dals /lentil separately until it turns golden yellow color.
- Dry roast the fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds also.
- Heat little bit of oil may be 1/4 tsp, fry the chillies, turmeric and hing. Put all the roasted ingredients to it. Allow everything to cool completely.
- Now grind all the ingredients along with salt to a fine powder .
- Pour it to a bowl, mix thoroughly. Once it is cooled down completely, store it in a airtight container. Enjoy this powder with hot rice or making gojju with tamarind and jaggery syrup. And as I said it is multi purpose powder, use this to spice up Avalakki chooda…
- You can skip red chillies or add more ( I used 10 here, it will be spicy, 3 to 5 gives mild spice which is perfect for many)
- You can substitute 1/4 tsp black pepper for red chillies.
- Or you can skip both