Hesarukalu Usli is one of the protein rich,fiber rich side dish. It is very healthy breakfast as well. For kids it can be served as after school snack too. This Green gram / Mung beans usli is very quick and easy to make dish.
- ½ cup Hesaru kaalu/green Gram
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ lemon
- 1 cup water to soak the green gram/hesaru kaalu
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp chana dal
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ½ cup grated fresh coconut
- Pinch of hing
- 3 to 4 green chillies (chopped)
- Wash and soak the moong for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook this soaked beans(drain the water) without adding water on medium heat (1 whistle ) then turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a pan. Once hot add mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds splutters add chana dal and urad dal.
- Fry it until the dals turn golden brown, add chopped green chillies, curry leaves.
- Reduce the heat and add hing and turmeric powder.Mix it and add the cooked green gram.
- Now increase the heat to medium high and add salt, stir it for few minutes.
- Then add coriander leaves, jaggery, grated coconut. Squeeze the lemon juice. Mix it well and turn off the heat.
- Now the usli is ready to eat.