Masoor dal pulao is an extension of the masoor dal recipe. Masoor dal Super tasty, easy to make, delicious, and healthy vegan and gluten free masoor lentils will be very good with hot rice, millets , quinoa, and also rotis and rotti as well. With the aroma of coriander leaves masala the dal is heavenly. You can use it as a side dish, or drink it as soup.
OR use the same dal to make pulao with dill leaves / sabbasige soppu. Here is the healthy, tasty, vegan and gluten free masoor dal pulao recipe.
First prepare the rice, let it cook around 75%. We need ½ to ¾ th cooked rice because we cook this again with the dal. Please do try and let us know how you liked .
Other rice recipes – rice recipe archive
Pressure cooker rice recipes / one pot meal recipes
Ingredients for making masoor dal pulao:
- 1 cup whole masoor dal / green lentils
- handful of coriander leaves
- around 8 green chilies ( more or less)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- small piece of fresh ginger
- 1.5 tbsp cooking oil
- pinch of hing/asafetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- few curry leaves
- 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- juice of lime / lemon
- 4 cup water (more or less)
- 2 cinnamon pieces
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- 3 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 2 cups of finely chopped dill leaves / sabsige soppu
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash and cook the masoor whole with 2 cups of water. Turn off the heat after 2 to 3 whistles.
- Grind coriander leaves, green chilies.ginger and garlic without adding water. Then add little water and grind it to a fine paste
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera. turmeric powder and curry leaves
- Now add cooked masoor lentils
- Add water, and salt, mix it well. Let it boil on medium heat for around 5 minutes
- Turn off the heat and add lemon/lime juice. Mix it and let it cool/warm before making the pulao.
- Wash and cook 1 cup of rice with 1.5 to 2 cups of water. 80%cooked rice is best for this recipe. Add salt and mix or you can add while cooking the rice
- Crush cardamom, cinnamon and cloves
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan /pressure cooker, add the crushed powder
- Spread one layer of rice, then a layer of masoor dal, and top of the dal add chopped dill leaves
- Repeat the same procedure, spread rice, then dal and chopped dill as shown
- Poke some holes using a knife
- (don’t skip this step)
- Cover it, and let it cook on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If the pan is thin, keep a skillet/tava on the stove and keep the pan on top of the tava.
- cover it, and let it cook on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for few more minutes
- Mix it gently. green masoor dal pulao is ready to serve.