Thondekai Palya | Tindora / Ivy gourd Palya
Thondekayi or thondekai Palya recipe with detailed video instructions.
Simple and tastiest thondekai or tindora or ivy gourd palya is very easy to make and delicious vegan and gluten free south indian side dish. This goes well with rice, rotti . chapathi and you can eat as a healthy snack!
Ingredients for making thondekai palya:
- ¼ kg Ivy gourd (Kovakkai, Tindora, Dondakaya)
- 1¼ cup water(quantity depends on how much water needed to cook the thondekai)
- ½ tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp jaggery (optional)
- ½ to 1 tsp juice of lime or lemon
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp split black gram/urad dal
- ½ tsp split bengal gram/chana dal
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 to 4 green chillies
- few curry leaves
- chopped coriander leaves
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ to ⅓ cup grated coconut
- Wash and cut the thondekai lengthwise and chop into small pieces as shown in the video
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add chana and urad dal.
- Once the dals turn golden brown add curry leaves and turmeric powder
- Then add cut thondekai, mix it and add water. Let it cook on medium heat until the thondekai becomes tender.
- make sure to stir in between and check for water(add more if needed)
- Grind 2 to 3 tbsp coconut, green chillies along with 1/2 tsp mustard seeds to a coarse powder(do not add water)
- once the thondekai is cooked, and the water is evaporated as well, now add the masala, salt, jaggery, and mix it well.
- Fry it for 2 to 3 minutes on medium low heat, finally add chopped coriander leaves, remaining grated coconut, squeeze the lemon juice and turn off the heat.
- Mix it well and serve it with rotti, chapati and with goes well with rice