Hagalakayi melogara recipe | hagalakayi melogara recipe | ಹಾಗಲಕಾಯಿ ಮೇಲೋಗರ | Bitter Gourd gojju |vegan, gluten free| travel recipe ಹಾಗಲಕಾಯಿ ಮೇಲೋಗರ /ಗೊಜ್ಜು @Swayam Paaka
Easy to make, side dish for rotis, rotti and chapathi. Vegan, gluten free, no onion, no garlic bitter gourd gojju / melogara . This is another traditional malnad dish. One important thing to remember while doing this recipe is as the bitter gourd is bitter in taste, we have to add enough sweet like jaggery, sour, as in tamarind and spice as in green chilies in this recipe. So swe, sour and spice is important to this hagalaki melogara. Make sure to add enough to get the perfect taste. If this gojju is cooked well, it can be stored for 15 days @room temperature and can be stored in the refrigerator
Other bitter gourd recipes you can try are:
Ingredients for making hagalkayi melogara:
- 3 medium size bitter gourd / hagalakayi/karela
- big lemon/lime size tamarind (wash and soak it in water)
- 1/2 cup powdered jaggery
- 3/4 tbsp rock salt
- 1.5 tbsp peanut oil / any cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp uddina bele/urad dal/split black gram
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- around 15 green chillies(more or less)
- Wash and cut the bitter gourd as shown in the video .
- Discard the seeds
Making the gojju / melogara:
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal, turmeric powder
- Fry it until the dals turn golden brown, then add curry leaves
- Add cut bitter gourd, mix it , reduce the heat to low, cover it and cook. STir it in between
- Once the bitter gourd is cooked, add chopped green chilies, tamarind extract, jaggery and salt. Mix it well,
- Let it boil/cook until the gojju thickens, then turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Once it is cooled completely, store the gojju in a glass jar.
- Melogara stays fresh for 15 days @room temperature. You can refrigerate as well.
- serve with rotti, idli, chapathi etc.
- Since it can be stored @room temperature, it is best for travel as well.