Hagalakai uppinakayi | Bitter Gourd Pickle | Hagalakai uppinakayi
Hagala kayi uppinakayi | Bitter Gourd pickle | karela Pickle | Hagalkai Pickle |
This is a healthy, diabetes friendly, bitter gourd /hagalkayi pickle. Made with bitter gourd, green chilies, lemon juice and spices.
Meals without pickle/uppina kaayi is something I cannot imagine. Mosaranna/curd rice with uppinakayi is just out of this world!
Nowadays we have so many options, buying from stores, buying from someone who makes at home. But nothing can beat the homemade pickle. We have varieties of pickle including lemon pickle, heralekai pickle, carrot pickle, and more….
Such as Mango Pickle , methi seeds pickle, nelli kaayi / amla pickle , amte kai pickle, ಮಾವಿನ ಮಿಡಿ, and thokku recipes as well
Ingredients for making hagalakai pickle:
- 2 hagalakayi / bitter gourd
- around 40 green chilies(quantity depends on the variety(hotness) of the chili
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp jeera powder / cumin seeds powder(not roasted)
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp dry roasted methi seeds/menthya / fenugreek seeds powder(first dry roast the methi seeds and then powder it)
- 2.5 tbsp salt
- around 8 medium sized lemon
- or around 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Wash and dry bitter gourd thoroughly before making the pickle
- Wash ,dry and squeeze the lemon juice to a bowl
- Cut the bitter gourd as shown.if the bitter gourd is tender then no need to Discard the seeds else scoop it and discard
- Cut the green chilies as shown in the video
- transfer the cut bitter gourd and chilies to a ceramic or glass container,
- To this add salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice. mix it with a dry spoon. COver it and keep it aside
- Next day, add pepper powder, jeera powder and roasted methi powder. Mix it with a dry spoon.
- Now the pickle is ready.
After 1 week:
- If you are adding seasoning take a required quantity to a small bowl
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds. after it pops add hind and turn off the heat. Pour this seasoning to the pickle. Mix it and eat this with rice rotti, and best with curd rice
- If you add seasoning to all the pickle it may get rancid So add seasoning to small quantity of pickle
- To store this or any pickle for long, the quantity of salt should be little more