kesuvina dantu (stem) and soppina(leaves) gojju
kesuvina soppina gojju is prepared without coconut, no dal/bele , no onion and no garlic as well. simple yet delicious gojju/huLi goes well with rice, chapathi, rottti…
Follow the tips in the video to ” how to cut the dantu and leaves”
Kesuvina dantina gojju or karkli or colocasia stem and leaves gojju recipe.
Kesuvina soppu/ Kesuvina ele / taro leaf /colocasia leaves is pure malenadu/karavali region greens can be used to make many Authentic dishes like, patrode, Majjige huli and chutney. The roots are also edible and kesuvina gedde gojju is the tastiest dish using the roots.
kesuvina dantu(stem) and soppu(leaves) both can be used to make the gojju or you can use only stems or leaves for this recipe.
Some varieties of taro leaves / kesuvina ele itches when you eat but the darker variety leaves are usually ok.
Ingredients for making kesuvina gojju:
- ಕೆಸುವಿನ ದಂಟು(ದಡಿ) ಮತ್ತು ಎಲೆ – colocasia leaves and stems – around 10 leaves and 10 stems /dantu
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- around 8 Finely chopped green chillies
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- small key lime tamarind soaked in water
- 1¼ cup water
- 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp hing/asafetida
For seasoning :
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 byadagi red chilli(broken)
- Wash and peel and cut the stem and the leaves as shown in the video
- Apply little coconut oil to the hand and rub and wait for some time before you wash your hand to avoid itchiness caused by these leaves.
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat, once hot add finely chopped green chillies
- Add curry leaves, and turmeric powder, saute it .
- Once the green chillies changes its color add chopped stems and leaves, mix it well.Fry it for 2 to 3 minutes
- Squeeze the soaked tamarind and extract the pulp, add it and add water, cover it and cook it for 4 to 5 minutes
- Once the stems are cooked well add salt, mix it and let it cook for another 2 to 3 minutes
- Please watch the video for the final consistency of the gojju.
- heat a tsp of oil in a ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, after it sputters add jeera,hing. after few seconds add broken red chillies, turn off the heat
- Add the seasoning to the gojju/huLi. Mix it well and serve
- Goes well with rice, rotti, rotis..
- Some varieties of taro leaves / kesuvina ele itches when you eat but the darker variety leaves are usually ok.
- the gojju is made with only chillies, tamarind and salt, you have to make sure to add enough to get a authentic taste of this dish