Aralu sandige / bhattada aralina sandige | puffed paddy fryums recipe – watch the video for detailed instructions.
This is Vegan, gluten free, no onion, no garlic sandige
aralu sandige is one of the sun dried summer special fryums of karnataka. Summer is the season to make all sun dried papads, sandige and use for the whole year. These are easy to make at home with easy, available ingredients in the pantry.
This aralu sandige is a speciality of karnataka .Aralu sandige / puffed paddy fryums can be prepared in many ways. Some people use sabbakki along with aralu as a binding agent, some don’t. Here in this recipe we have used white pumpkin(boodu kumbalakai)/ash gourd as binder.
You have to prepare this sandige on hot summer days so that sandiges will be dried properly to store for a long time.
Deep fry this sandige whenever you want to eat.
Try these other sandige/happala summer recipes such as
Ingredients for making aralu sandige:
- 5 cups of puffed paddy / bhattada araLu
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- water to rinse the araLu
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ash gourd/winter melon/boodu kumbalakai
- juice of half lemon
- 5 green chillies( more or less)
- oil to fry
- combine chopped ash gourd (kumbalakai)finely chopped green chillies, salt, and lemon juice in a big bowl.
- Add the araLu little by little in a big bowl of water, gently squeeze the excess water from the aralu and put this into the kumbalakai mix.
- Mix it gently keeping the aralu shape intact
- Take a tablespoon or 2 of the sandige mix and press it gently to the sides of the bowl and place it on the plate. repeat with the remaining mixture, DO NOT PRESS hard
- Sun dry these sandige for 2 to 3 days.
- Now the sandiges are dried in the hot sun for 2 days and ready to use or stored in airtight container. ( if there is not enough sunlight the color of the sandige will not be white )
- Now the sandiges are dried in the hot sun for 2 days and ready to use or can be stored in airtight container. ( if there is not enough sunlight the color of the sandige will not be white )
- When you want to eat the sandige deep fry the sandige and serve.