Sweet, tangy and sour gojju recipe using Orange Peel. Usually we eat the oranges and throw away the peel, in this recipe we use the peel to make the delicious side dish for rice, rotti, chapathi… Next time when you eat oranges don’t discard the peel, save it and make this orange peel gojju / kittaLe sippe gojju. This is Vegan and gluten free, No onion No Garlic side dish.
Benefits of Orange peel- It has calcium, vitamin A, dietary fiber, copper,
Recipe of Rasam Powder click rasam powder:
Ingredients for making Orange Peel Gojju:
- Peel of 2 oranges or
- Around ⅓ cup of chopped orange peel
- small key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- small lemon size jaggery
- around 1/2 cup of fresh coconut or same quantity as the chopped orange peel
- 3/4 tbsp saarina pudi / Rasam powder
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp split black gram / urad dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- around 1 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal, after it turns golden brown add curry leaves. add chopped orange peel, add chopped orange peel, fry it for 5 to 6 minutes
- Grind coconut and rasam powder along with water to a fine paste.
- After frying orange peel for 5 to 6 minutes, add tamarind extract. then add jaggery, salt, and coconut rasam powder paste, add water to get the desired consistency. Let it boil for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat
- Serve this sweet and tangy gojju with rice, rotis and rotti as well.