Thatte idli is very popular karnataka special breakfast recipe. Thatte is kannada word for plate, idli is shaped as thatte /plate which gave this breakfast the name – Thatte Idli. Tatte idli is made popular by Upahara Darshinis . tatte idlis are served with chutney, and sambar.
Try these idlis with Chutney , sambar
Idlis can be prepared with vegetables as well, pumpkin idli
Green gram idli, Ragi idli, mallige idli, masala idli The measurement given here yields 12 thatte idli.
this is gluten free, vegan breakfast recipe.
Ingredients for making tatte idli:
- 2 cups akki thari / idli rave /idli rava
- 1 cup urad dal / split black gram
- around 5 cups of water to soak the rave and dal
- 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- oil to grease the idli plates
- Wash and soak the urad dal / uddina bele in 3 cups of water overnight or at least 5 to 6 hours
- Wash and soak the idli rava with 2 cups of water overnight or at least 5 to 6 hours
- Transfer a cup of water from soaked urad dal to a cup and then grind the urad dal to a fine consistency, add water if needed (Left with 1/2 cup of water.)
- Transfer this urad dal to a big bowl/container
- Now transfer the water from soaked idli rava, squeeze excess water, add the rava to the urad dal batter
- Add a tsp of salt and mix it really well. Cover it and keep it aside to ferment overnight .
- Next day add remaining salt to the fermented batter, mix it well.Idli batter is ready.
To make Thatte Idli:
- Grease the plates with oil
- pour the idli batter to the greased plates (around 1/2 the plate)
- keep the plates in the plate idli stand, lock it
- Steam cook the idli in a pressure cooker without keeping the weight on medium high heat for 20 – 25 minutes . then turn off the heat.
- to check – wet the finger and touch the idli, it should not be sticky. if so cook some more time
- Allow it to cool for few minutes before you take the idlis from the plate
- repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter or you can refrigerate the batter and use it another day( make sure to bring it to the room temperature)