Onion Gojju | Erulli Gojju | Easy Side dish recipes
Easy to make, finger licking onion gojju Erulli gojju can be prepared in 10 minutes. Very tasty side dish goes well with rotti, chapathi, Jolada rotti and even with rice. Onion gojju is spicy, tangy and healthy. I am sure onions are the only vegetables which can found in almost everyone’s pantry, so try this today andyou will love it for sure . This is vegan side dish and for gluten free option skip hing/asafetida.
For more gojju recipes CLICK HERE
Ingredients for onion gojju:
- 2 cups of chopped onion – 1 big
- 2 to 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tbsp oil
- pinch of hing/asafetida
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp split black gram(urad dal) and 1 tsp split bengal gram(chana dal)
- 1 to 3 chopped green chillies
- ¾ cup to 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 tsp saarina pudi/rasam powder
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 to 3 tsp hurigadale/fried gram dal
- 6 to 8 curry leaves
- small key lime sized tamarind soaked in water
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp jaggery
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the pan on medium heat and dry roast the sesame seeds, transfer it to a bowl
- Keep the pan back on stove , add oil, then add hong, mustard seeds,
- Once the mustard seeds pops add dals, fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- After the dals are golden brown add curry leaves, green chillies and onion
- Mix it, add turmeric powder, and salt. saute it until the onions are translucent
- Now add tamarind extract, jaggery, rasam powder and water, mix it and let it boil on medium low heat for 5 to 6 minutes
- Powder the hurigadale and roasted sesame seeds using a mortar and pestle, or mixer and keep it ready
- After 5 to 6 minutes add coconut, the powder and mix it and let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes on medium low heat
- Now you can taste and add anything it needs like rasam powder, chillies jaggery….
- AFter 2 to 3 minutes, gojju is ready, you can see the oil leaving the gojju, before you turn off the heat add coriander leaves and mix it.
- serve this Onion Gojju with chapathi, rotti, bhakri..